Twilight Lexicon has some information from the Phoenix TwiTour. At the convention some major information was revealed about the Twilight movies, including the people who were very close to playing Edward Cullen.
1. Mike Welch can play the drums and do comedy song routines from Dreamgirls to Queen. He’s also an incredible backup dancer.
2. Catherine Hardwicke said that the 4 finalists (who she called bachelor 1, 2, 3, 4) for the part of Edward Cullen were Jackson Rathbone, Ben Barnes, and Shiloh Fernandez. She said to watch for Shiloh because she predicts that he’s going places.3. Catherine said two Twilight stars (one male and one female) have auditioned for her version of Hamlet.
4. Edi Gathegi was chased around the New Moon set by styrofoam green cows that were then replaced by CGI wolves when doing the wolf attack scene. He said it’s hard to keep a straight face when you’re being chased by green cows.
5. Edi just saw New Moon in a private movie theater with Stephenie Meyer and said he was nervous seeing the movie with Stephenie and he’s always nervous about seeing himself on film. Said the movie is fabulous, and amazing.
6. Gil Birmingham on acoustic guitar at 12:30AM is so worth staying up for. His repertoire runs from blues, to light rock, to a Mexican sound that then blends into folk. And, oh yeah, the man can sing!
Love her choices, and she definitely picked the best man to play Edward :).